The winter holiday starts today and we thought to share a recipe for traditional Soetkoekies (sweet biscuits). A delightful treat for the family and easy enough for children to try when they need entertainment on a rainy day.
4 cups cake flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground ginger
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup butter
4 tablespoons lard/fat
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tablespoons lukewarm water
1 egg, beaten
- Pre heat oven to 180°C
- Sift together the flour, salt and spices and add the sugar.
- Rub in the butter and fat using your fingertips.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the water and add to the beaten egg.
- Mix all the ingredients together to make a dough, knead until thoroughly mixed.
- Leave to stand overnight, roll out onto a floured surface to 5mm thick and cut out rounds with a cookie cutter.
- Bake on a greased oven tray for 10 minutes until golden brown.