Celebrating the most important time of year on a wine farm, we invite guests to participate in the excitement and energy of the harvest with a Harvest Tour and Tasting.
Join in the harvest experiences with a vineyard tour presented by a well-informed Wine Ambassador introducing the various varieties and explaining the harvest practices and biologic farming methods.
After the visit to the vineyards, guests get a first-hand experience of the harvesting process on a guided cellar tour – the hand-sorting of grapes, crushing, pump-overs and other activities that take place in the cellar – ending with a tasting of grape must (fermenting grape juice) from a fermentation tank.
The Tasting Room is the last stop and here guests are treated to a seated tasting of La Motte’s award-winning wines as well as a selection of harvest delights, including:
- Five wines from the La Motte Collection
- Two wines from the Pierneef Collection
- Mosbolletjies – the traditional South African sweet bun made from the yeast of partially fermented grape juice.
- Must syrup – probably the first form of jam made by men – a reduction of the sweet grape must or partially fermented grape juice.
- Something Savoury – a real celebration of Cape Winelands Cuisine.
- Something Sweet – a harvest interpretation of a traditional pastry.
- Something Salady – Chef Michelle Theron’s fresh interpretation of the culinary traditions of the Cape.
The Harvest Tour and Tasting cost R120, takes about 90 minutes and will be available hourly from Tuesdays to Fridays, from 10:00 to 15:00 for the duration of the harvest.
Dates for the 2017 Harvest Tasting will be advised.
Pierneef à La Motte restaurant also participates in the celebration of harvest with harvest-inspired menu items while the La Motte Farm Shop offers an array of decadent confectionery and breads baked with grapes or must.