In order to celebrate harvest time in the Winelands, we invite guests to join in the activities:
- Day-time Harvest Tour and Tasting, starting on 27 January for the duration of the harvest
- Tour, Taste and Talk the Harvest Evening, on Thursday, 19 February
Day-time Harvest Tasting
On day visits, guests are guided through the vineyards, tasting the ripening grapes while a well-informed Wine Ambassador introduces the various varietals and explains the harvest practices and biologic farming methods.
After the visit to the vineyards, guests get a first-hand experience of the harvesting process on a guided cellar tour – the hand-sorting of grapes, crush, pump-overs and other activities that take place in the cellar – ending with a tasting of grape must (fermenting grape juice) from a fermentation tank.
The tasting room is the last stop where guests are treated to a seated tasting of our award-winning wines and other harvest delights, including:
- Five wines from the La Motte Collection
- Two wines from the Pierneef Collection
- Mosbolletjies (the traditional South African sweet bun made from the yeast of partially fermented grape juice)
- Must syrup (probably the first form of jam made by men – a reduction of the sweet grape must or partially fermented grape juice)
- Something Savoury – based on a century-old recipe, a Cape Winelands Cuisine inspired carrot fritter served with a piquant grape sambal
- Something Sweet – white chocolate galette with nuts and grapes
- Grape Flat Bread
Tastings cost R80, takes just more than an hour and will be available hourly from Tuesdays to Fridays, from 10:00 to 15:00 for the duration of the harvest – starting on Tuesday, 27 January.
Pierneef à La Motte restaurant also participates in the celebration of harvest with harvest-inspired menu items while the La Motte Farm Shop offers an array of decadent confectionery and breads baked with grapes or must.
For more information or reservations, please call Werner in the Tasting Room at +27 (0)21 876 8820.
Tour, Taste and Talk the Harvest Evening
On the evening of Thursday, 19 February, we present a special edition of the Harvest Tasting.
Viticulturist, Pietie le Roux will guide guests through the vineyards, sharing the wonderful ways of the vine as well as explaining the concept of biologic and sustainable farming.
Guests then join winemaker Edmund Terblanche on a cellar tour introducing the pressing process before tasting the award-winning La Motte’s Classic as well as Pierneef wine collections.
Well-known food historian, Hetta van Deventer-Terblanche will treat guests to a selection of harvest-inspired bites while sharing some of the history behind recipes with grapes and must.
Pierneef à La Motte restaurant will create a special harvest-inspired menu for guests attending the talk. Choose a meal from this special Cape Winelands Cuisine menu and enjoy with a glass of wine. Please ensure to mention whether dinner is required when making the reservation.
Date: 19 February
Talk with special dinner: R250
Reservations are essential.
To make a reservation and for more information, please contact Angela, at +27 (0)21 876 8000 or email@example.com