Aubergine and ricotta cannelloni with tomato and rosemary fondue
Recipe: Chris Erasmus
Very similar to Melanzane alla Parmigian, the flavours of this tomato-based Italian favourite are ideally paired with a lighter style of red wine. The versatility of the Merlot-based 2019 La Motte Millennium makes it a delicious and reliable partner!
3 large aubergines, sliced 4mm thick
4T olive oil
Salt and black pepper
1 ½ cups ricotta cheese
½ cup grated parmesan
2 cups stinging nettle, chopped
1 cup garden rocket, chopped
1T lemon zest
1tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp grated nutmeg
¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Heat a grill pan and lightly coat the aubergine slices with the olive oil.
- Grill the aubergines until soft but nor crispy, season with salt and pepper and drain on paper towel.
- Heat a frying pan and add the butter, sauté the nettle and rocket for 1 minute until tender, drain well and chop finely, leave to cool.
- Place the sauteed herbs, ricotta, parmesan, lemon zest, garlic, nutmeg and pepper in a bowl and mix well, refrigerate until set.
- Place 3 slices of overlapping aubergine on a cutting board and place 2 tablespoons of filling in the centre.
- Roll tightly, repeat this with all the slices of aubergine and filling and refrigerate until set.
1kg ox heart tomatoes, chopped
2T olive oil
2 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
3T rosemary, chopped
2T fresh oregano, chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Heat a large saucepan and add the olive oil, onions, garlic and herbs and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cook over low heat for 1 hour until thick and fragrant.
Place the cannelloni’s in serving bowls, top with the tomato fondue and sprinkle with parmesan.
Place in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes and serve with grated Parmesan and freshly chopped basil leaves.