The La Motte Hiking Trail offers the ideal opportunity to explore some of the estate’s greatest natural assets and breathtaking Franschhoek Valley views.
The Sustainable Hike is a further expression of La Motte’s commitment to the highest conservation and biodiversity standards and the protection of precious indigenous flora and fauna in the mountain area surrounding the estate and the adjoining Wemmershoek mountain range. It offers the ideal opportunity to explore abundant birdlife, a protea garden, sustainably farmed vineyards, a wealth of flora, resident mammals and reptiles and the breathtaking vistas of the Franschhoek Valley.
The circular route, which starts at the La Motte Tasting Room, stretches over five kilometres, with the hiking trail section covering two kilometres. The time required to complete the trail is about two hours when walking and three hours when strolling.
The trail has a Grade 1B rating and requires a fair degree of fitness. It is therefore not recommended for children under the age of 10 and we do not permit infants in back packs. Prospective hikers are reminded that dogs and mountain bikes are not permitted. Maximum group size of 10. Safe convenient parking is available. Prior online booking is essential.
On Tuesday mornings guests are invited to a Guided Hike where a well-informed and passionate guide will share information on the flora and fauna and the Franschhoek valley. Hikers receive a hiking trail map, bottle of water and will be treated to light refreshments when stopping for a breather at the Lapa. Prior online booking is essential.
- It is a circular 6 km route beginning and ending at the La Motte Tasting Room and encompasses the vineyards of La Motte as well a section of the mountain behind the estate. It is not possible to walk only a section of the trail.
- The trail has a Grade 1B rating and requires a fair degree of fitness.
- It is not recommended that children under 10 walk and we do not permit infants in back packs.
- Dogs and mountain bikes are not permitted.
- We suggest sturdy closed shoes, sunscreen and a hat.
- The hiking trail is also closed in the event of temperatures in excess of 35 degrees Celsius, rain or inclement weather, please feel free to call the tasting room on the morning if you are unsure, 021 876 8820.
- Maximum group size of 10.
- Safe convenient parking is available.
- Please note that La Motte requires photo identification (Passport, Identity card/document or Driver’s licence) for security check-in.
- Booking is essential as we limit the amount of daily hikers for environmental considerations.
- Download birds to be seen along Trail.
Please note that renovations will start from 18 April. Click here for the schedule.
Monday to Saturday until end of May when it closes for Winter. Strictly on reservation.
Closed on Christian Religious public holidays.
The trail is closed on Sundays and annually during the winter months, June through mid-September.
Guided Hike: on Tuesday mornings guests are invited to a Guided Hike where a well-informed and passionate guide will share information on the flora and fauna and the Franschhoek valley. Hikers receive a hiking trail map, bottle of water and will be treated to light refreshments when stopping for a breather at the Lapa. The Guided Hike starts at 08:00.
Cost (includes a detailed map and a bottle of water):
Cost (includes a detailed map and a bottle of water)
Please note that as a safety measure, the hiking trail will be closed in rainy conditions or when temperatures exceed 35°C. Please see the latest weather update for La Motte, below.
WELCOME TO LA MOTTE
This website is meant to be enjoyed by people of legal drinking age
I am of legal drinking age
Sorry! You need to be at least 18 to visit our website.