The energy of harvest time in the Winelands is infectious! To share the excitement, La Motte wine estate in the Franschhoek Valley invites guests to participate in a special Harvest Experience presented for the duration of the 2018 harvest.
Enjoy the unique harvest time traditions and practices on a guided tour presented by one of the estate’s Wine Ambassadors.
- In the vineyard - enjoy an introduction to the various varietals, harvest processes and the estate’s biologic farming practices.
- In the cellar - experience the hand-sorting of grapes, crush, pump-overs and other cellar activities, concluded with a tasting of grape must (fermenting grape juice) from a fermentation tank.
- In the tasting room - sit down to a tasting of La Motte’s award-winning collection of wines - five wines from the La Motte Collection as well as the two wines from the estate’s renowned Pierneef Collection. As a special treat, enjoy harvest-inspired nibbles from the farm kitchen:
- Mosbolletjies - the traditional South African sweet bun made from the yeast of partially fermented grape juice. Must as a rising agent ensures a very light bake and characteristic aniseed is traditionally added. According to Laurens van der Post: “It was mosbeskuit which introduced us to the French fashion of breaking our fast with a Cape form of petit-dejeuner: a cup of hot coffee and milk and a small plate of mosbeskuit usually brought to the bedside at daybreak.”
- Must syrup - probably the first form of jam made by men and claimed to be found in the tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh, Tutankhamun, 1400 years B.C.! In essence, it is a reduction of sweet grape must or partially fermented grape juice.
- Something Seasonal – A stone fruit, grape must and nut tartlet with a savoury matured Cheddar pastry representing the Winelands tradition of using seasonal ingredients and combining sweet and savoury flavours.
- Something Savoury – A rustic and comforting roast chicken and red wine harvest pie.
- Something Sweet – Short biscuit with chewy sultanas and raisins and a centre of grape and must jam.
The Harvest Experience costs R120, takes about 90 minutes and will be available hourly from Tuesdays to Fridays, between 10:00 and 15:00 from 6 February to 29 March 2018.
Reservations are essential and can be made with the La Motte Tasting Room at T +27 (0)21 876 8820 or E email@example.com
Pierneef à La Motte restaurant also participates in the celebration of harvest with harvest-inspired menu items while the La Motte Farm Shop offers an array of decadent confectionery and breads baked with grapes or must.